Ms Miller Womens Fall Protection Harness (E570) Additional Information & FAQ

Posted: July 18, 2009 in Additional Product Information for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Womens Safety Gear
Tags: , , , , ,

Fortunately, there is one harness available for women. Introduced by Miller Fall Protection (Sperian) in 1998, the Ms. Miller is the ONLY full-body harness on the market specifically designed to fit women. It was designed by two female engineers and is quite different than standard men’s fall protection harnesses. The Ms. Miller is modeled after a rock climber’s harness.

Keep in mind two major differences of the female body are the chest and pelvic areas. The Ms. Miller design addresses both of these differences quite adequately and is offered in a variety of sizes from XXSmall to XXLarge based on height, weight and waist measurements. In lieu of a cross chest style harness, this uniquely designed harness keeps shoulder straps at the side and away from the chest.

Though men have inquired about the comfort of this harness for them, the Ms. Miller is not recommended for men, as it is specifically designed for a woman’s body, particularly in the hip and pelvic area. As such, it distributes fall forces much differently than standard (men’s) harnesses. Support straps were added to the front of the harness connecting the leg straps to the waist strap. This reduces the outward forces or spread eagle, wishbone effect. In addition, the waist pad and leg pads relieve stress on the lower back.

The Ms. Miller meets ANSI A10.32, Z359.1 and CZA Z259.10-06 specifications.

FAQ:   Provided by Miller Fall Protection’s Tech Support

Q1: Are all other harnesses dangerous for women?  No. However they may not fit as well and may not have the features to eliminate stress on the lower hip/back area during a fall.

Q2: Is it easy to put on  the Ms. Miller?   Yes! Very Easy! Step through waist, raise shoulder straps, buckle the legs and chest straps. The leg straps utilize offset slotted mating buckles and the shoulder straps use friction buckles.

Q3: Where should the chest straps be worn? What is the recommended location?  The chest strap should be in the mid chest area, the same as recommended for other harnesses.  Use the chest strap to keep shoulder straps on shoulders – do not over tighten (adjust to shorten). Shoulder straps should stay at sides rather than coming up front of the torso.

About these ads
Comments
  1. Sarah says:

I’m pleased to see that there is a harness that fits properly but, what I was really looking for was a safety harness that was safe and fashionable. I have to were one every day at work and I would definatly spend the money to have a hot pink or lepord print harness. Any way see what you can do. thanks

• Sarah – Thanks so much for the input. As a matter of fact, we are researching a new pink harness that has recently “hit” the market. As far as I know it is a man’s styled harness but the webbing is a hot pink! Stay tuned, as it will take some time to research it for compliance, and to get it to our shelves. Thanks again! – Terri, Owner of CharmandHammer.com

• Sarah says:

If you need test subjects I work at UPS-SCS and there are hundreds of us ladies that would love the new hot Pink harnesses. Pick me first!! I want that harness I need that harness! (like yesterday) I look forward to your reply.

• I’ll see what I can do!! And I will definitely keep you and your co-workers in mind for future product evaluations!!

2. Dawn Copeland says:

I’m not so crazy about hot pink, unless it was magenta. A leopard print harness would be awesome. As the colors involved are often “safety” colors, immediately visible to the eye, perhaps, an animal print that’s hot pink and black would be suitable!!

3. Donna George says:

I am currently using this fall protection harness and I am very disappointed with it. I am a tall female who is a carpenter. The waist to leg is to short and the lumbar in the back interferes with the tool belt. The fact each time you wear this the legs, waist and straps have to be adjusted. The male version has buckles and rivets which makes it easier to adjust. I wear this pretty much everyday and because of the weather I can have three layers of clothes on. I go home at the end of the day and my upper shoulders are aching and my hips are killing me from the strap buckles digging in. God help me if I needed to use the bathroom. It takes 10 minutes to get back into the thing. The engineers who developed this harness didn’t factor in people who actually need them for work.

4. L says:

hot pink or magenta would be awsome.. i have found a Gamma Woman’s Harness by Fallogic that appears to be black from what i can tell and is X out in the front for spacing. i think this may be a good one but no sure. if anyone knows anything about this harness please inform me. thanx

5. Felicia says:

Honestly color doesn’t matter (sure – I’d love a pink leopard bedazzed one but seriously)- does it fit better? Is it lighter? Where can I try one on? I am located in Norman, OK (near Oklahoma City). I need to find a harness that safe and fits.

6. kelly says:

I work in abatement demo/construction, I have been using the guys harness but I find the cheap ones get loose easy and the higher end are heavy and hot, also with my line of work my ideal harness would have the belt buckle style closure on the legs as I would need to adjust size between summer and winter clothing, as far as color well standard safety colors are just fine as I already stick out like a sore thumb on most job sites just being female…… lol

7. Lorna says:

This harness is a NIGHTMARE.

I’m a smaller lady and my company ordered me this harness about a month ago, thinking it would fit snugger than the male harness. It’s comfortable and flashy, but in NO WAY meets the needs of a female worker.

First of all, the waist strap does NOT disconnect, which means you can’t strap it on – you have to loosen all the straps, step into it. and “shimmy” it up. “Oh, well that doesn’t seem so bad…” you might say, and really it isn’t – until you’re wearing 7 layers of winter clothing. Then the act of “shimmying” your harness up manages to bunch all of your torso clothing up under your armpits, and you have to fiddle with pulling it all down again under the harness. If I had to do that ONCE a day, I wouldn’t have a problem, but that brings me to my next point:

Because of the front straps (that go from your waist to your legs straps) and the non-detachable waistband, you CANNOT take your pants down without completely removing the harness (even if you disconnect the leg straps). This means that every time I have to use the restroom, I have to take my harness off.

Repeating this 5 or 6 times in a workday is not only time consuming and frustrating, but after the first few days I just stopped snugging up my straps again, to make it easier to remove in a pinch. Sounds dangerous, doesn’t it? I can’t help but agree. The mere inconvenience of donning and doffing this harness is forcing me to circumvent its safety features.

I’ve read numerous internet reviews that tout this as the first and ONLY harness designed specifically to meet a female workers needs. Well this female worker NEEDS to drop her pants to pee, and they seem to have ignored that fact completely.

FUN FACT of this review: I called Miller, who informed me that the engineer was, as you might expect, NOT a woman. :-)